Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Family Update

Ken has been very busy with school lately. So busy, in fact, that he worked during his entire 2 week Spring Break! His typical day he goes into work right after I walk in the door from going running (a little after 7am) and gets home just before 6pm. Whew! I'm not sure how he's keeping pace with it all, but he loves what he is doing and is really getting into the groove with his research. Right now he's not in class or teaching, so he's pretty much doing 100% research. We'll probably know by this fall when we will be leaving Michigan. As for me, I'm voting for staying another 2 years. I'm not quite ready for a move, and I absolutely love the community I'm living in, plus, where am I going to find 6 other girls who are willing to get up at 6:30 and run every day? Anyhow, we'll definitely keep you updated. But, speaking of Spring break, I did finally convince Ken that he could take a couple of days off for a post-spring break outing. We went up north to Frankenmuth, a little Bavarian/German Touristy town. I will post pictures shortly.

So, good news, I've been having many debates about what to do regarding Joseph's preschool, and I have for sure decided that we will not be sending him to Kindergarten next year (his birthday is just before the Michigan deadline of Dec. 1). We're going to wait one more year and pass up free education (there is a Young 5's program he got into, but we would have to drive him across town 5 days a week) in favor of a more convenient, but much more expensive option (how can you compete with free?) of a paid preschool two days a week. I think it will be just the thing he needs to prepare him for kindergarten and give me a little break twice a week and time to spend with just Elizabeth. Whew! It feels nice to finally have that one resolved. Joseph is growing so fast, I can't believe it. He's really starting to understand so many things now, and getting better and better at reading 3 letter words. He's also memorized the first 4 articles of faith for primary.

As for Elizabeth, my goodness she's changed a lot the past few months. She is going to nursery now and loving it. Every time you ask her if she had fun in nursery she says "Ba ba". Which is her version of "baby". She absolutely is crazy about babies. The second Ken drops her off in nursery, she starts looking for a baby to play with. When we are at home, she always knows exactly where her babies are and loves to help them pray (folding their arms for them), put them to bed (she has to kiss each one and say "nie nie" (night night), and of course feeding them with her "bobble" (bottle). What a sweety, though. She is so good at letting Joseph tell her what to do and helping him in his pretend play. She also loves to help mommy do the dishes and is quite good at cleaning up her toys. Just watch out when she's teething or hasn't had a nap, 'cause she'll let you know about it! We love her tonz!

As for me, I'm loving life, especially the last few days since it's been in the 50's and 60's outside! No coats! Sunshine! What more could I ask for? Also, running, my current passion, is going well. Ken always laughs at me, because I have invited so many people to join my running group. I love it so much, I think everyone should start running. The more the merrier! One of these days all the people I've invited will show up and we'll have the whole neighborhood out! Right now we are training for a half marathon in Ohio. I haven't signed up, but if I don't get injured or anything in the next few weeks, I'll probably go. I'm loving having Ken home on the weekends, and loving the fact that he does the cooking on the weekends and watches the kids while I do my long runs on Saturdays. What a great husband he is!

Well, that's it for the family update. Stay posted for the Frankenmuth post!

6 comments:

BensonFam said...

So good to hear what you guys have been up to. And those of kids of yours - what smarties and cuties you have! Glad to hear you're doing well! We miss you!

Janel said...

I am so glad we get to run together, and I totally hope you stay for 2 years. I'll keep my fingers crossed:)!

Lhone said...

Glad you like Michigan so much. It's fun when you find a neighborhood that you like. I'm impressed you can run. It just never was my thing. I do want to see pics of the kids. They are probably even bigger! Glad you're blogging again.

Genny said...

I'm so happy for you Andrea! Muy contenta! Un dia nos veremos... :)

stacey said...

So given my current state of largeness, I have not yet accepted your invitation to run with the whole gang. However, I would like to do the Mackinac 5 mile run this Fall (my secret New Year's Resolution) or if I can pull something just short of a miracle, maybe the half marathon... Anyways, point is, once I get the courage up after the baby comes and things calm down, I will try to take you up on the offer. I'm glad you went to Frankenmuth finally! We never did go during Spring break either, maybe we'll head up there this summer if Jeff gets the chance.

amydear said...

I'd suggest staying two more years to let the job market recover a bit! We're so glad we got out before things turned too bad, though, because we might not have gotten a job this year. Who can say! Good luck to you. Glad you're enjoying running still. I miss all the girls to run with there. I'm doing another marathon this spring, so I must still like it. : )