So, I really enjoyed listening to General Conference a little over a week ago. I will admit, I didn't get to hear some of the talks because of children (I hope most of you can relate), but there were several talks that I felt were especially applicable. The one that keeps going through my head is the quote the Elder Ballard read in his talk "Daughters of God." Here is the quote I liked:
"First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments. There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.
Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11)."
I really want to be better at this and not be so focused on just getting things done, but to really treasure and make the most of my precious moments that I have with my young children. I really want to make a more consistent effort at NOT getting things done all the time, but at living in the moment and enjoying it and realizing that being a mom is about making memories rather than just getting things done.
I love the leaders of our church! I fell like they are so inspired. It's nice to know that even with the passing of President Hinckley that God leads and guides this church and inspires his prophets.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
wow, these are really great quotes! Thanks for sharing. I wasn't able to watch much of conference at all, not due to children. But I love listening to it when I can!
That talk it home to me also. It was definitely awake up call!
amen to all of that. I do the same thing. I feel like I need to "get it done" so that I can enjoy things, but I have noticed that "it" is never done. There is ALWAYS something to do. Such a good idea to take it easier.
I enjoyed reading your blog. I also loved that talk. It is harder to listen with kids. I guess that is what the Ensign is for. It's so true about living in the moment with your kids. It is a WONDERFUL reminder!
Post a Comment